Sunday, July 10, 2016

Donald Trump, A Bill Cooperberg For Our Time

Bill, if you are out there, I love ya, man.

Many years ago, upon starting a new job, my supervisor introduced me to the senior team member, the man who would help acclimate me to my new responsibilities.  Bill Cooperberg made such a poor first impression that I seriously wondered if I had made a terrible mistake taking that job.  He spoke with a thick Bronx accent, including all the usual, grating grammatical mistakes, he wore a cheap, badly fitting suit, and he smoked---a marker, in the minds of many, of reduced moral character.  What had I gotten myself into?

As the days and weeks passed, Bill would comment on some issue and I would think, with surprise, "well, he is certainly right about that."  Bill would say something about another matter and I would again be surprised by his trenchant insight.  One of his most common refrains, upon being informed of one thing or another was, "It don't make no sense."  Dusting the grammar off my coat I would think, "Well, it don't."

In the end, the shabby ignorance was all mine, and I am proud to tell you that I was able to overcome it, eventually.  Once I got past Bill's admittedly rough exterior, I discovered a brilliant, kind, self-effacing person of uncommon insight into the human exprience. "Don't judge a book by its cover" was a cosmic lesson taught by the person of Bill Cooperberg.

And so it seems to be with Donald Trump.  Donald Trump is nobody's idea of the ideal president.  Certainly, not mine.  But, while he makes mistakes (orders of magnitude less significant than the reptilian Hillary Clinton's), time and again he is right.  Case in point:  Donald Trump's advisor's response to the achingly dim-witted Union for Reform Judaism
David Friedman's letter to the URJ
A response that thrills even the brilliant Caroline Glick.

Friends, how many times does Trump have to be right, before you look past his admittedly weird hair and rough manners, and finally realize we don't have to accept the criminally incompetent Hillary Clinton?

No comments:

Post a Comment